Thubten Chodron is an American Tibetan Buddhist nun and a
central figure in reinstating the ordination of women. She is founder and
Abbess of Sravasti Abbey, a Buddhist monastery near Newport, Washington.
Transcriptions: If you would like to take empathic action
and create a transcription of this video, check
the volunteers page. The transcriptions will make it easier for
other viewers to quickly see the content of this video.)
3 ideas how to build a culture of empathy and compassion
1. Education in schools (how to identify emotions, how to work with them
inside, how to express them, how to empathize, non-violent
2. Media (influence what the media reports, what constitutes
entertainment? show examples of healthy conflict resolution)
3. Individuals familiarizing themselves with empathy and compassion on a
4. Workplace (the feeling in the company depends a lot on the leader,
talks or courses an working with anger)
Questions to ask:
1. Some people fear being empathetic or compassion because others may
take advantage of them, they may be overwhelmed by their own sadness at
others' situations, they will have to agree to do things that they don't
think are right for the sake of compassion. How do we work with such
2. Some people think something is wrong with them because they don't
feel much empathy or compassion.
3. How do we train ourselves in empathy and compassion?